This delicious salad is super flavorful and healthy for you! I whipped it up and ate it for lunch a few days after. It is a very versatile salad so you can add really whatever you wish to it. Let me know what you think!
What you need:
for the beet salad
- 2 pounds fresh beets- i used golden too!
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
for the Lemon Zest Vinaigrette
- 2 med cloves of garlic, minced.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Roast beets. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees before!
- Scrub beets and remove leaves. Place the beets in an oven safe dish and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until beets are tender when easily pierced through with a fork or toothpick. Remove beets from oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes or until cool enough to comfortably handle.
- Using paper towels or wearing plastic gloves (unless you want to scrub your hands thoroughly after to get the beet stains out) rub off the beet skins and slice the beet top stub off of the beets. If the skin does not rub off easy, then use a vegetable peeler to carefully peel the skin. Don’t knick your skin like I did!
- Cut beets into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Make the Lemon Zest Vinaigrette dressing: In medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients (garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper).
- Toss together chopped beets, vinaigrette, feta, parsley, and almonds until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Yum!